Monday, October 22, 2012

'Tis The Season for Canning Vegetables

Good Monday Morning,

Now is the time of season, when you try to extend the life of your vegetable garden.  Freezing and canning are one of my favorite things to do with the fresh produce from the garden. You are also preserving fresh vegetables, and not worrying about pesticides you may find on store bought produce.  Very eco-friendly way of eating.

I love to can salsa.  I make both the boiling salsa method as well as the chopped and jarred.  The later only lasts around a week or so.  Make sure you have plenty of tomatoes.  I used to grow jalapenos, habaneros and banana peppers and don't forget the chopped onions.  Delicious!

Canning sweet corn is another favorite of mine.  My boys' great grandmother used to freeze the best sweet corn ever.  She would blanch the sweet corn, cut from cob and add sugar and salt before placing it in quart size ziplock bags.  This was excellent in a crockpot for holiday get togethers.

I once tried to freeze habanero and jalapeno peppers so I could use them at a later time, but they turned out pretty mushy.  I will need to find a better way to freeze these.  I know you can pickle them, but then you loose the natural flavor of the peppers.

Head on over  The Fresh Preserve Store, the Kelly Blue book of Canning.  I think I will check out this book, with as much canning as I do.

Lastly, I have been invited to a Pompeian Twitter party on Smiley360. It is my first party invite. My problem is, I do not know how to Tweet.  I think I will need to research this and sign up for a Twitter account.  Olive oil is so much better for your health than some vegetable oils.  I am pretty excited.  You can join too,
Join me for the Smiley360 #PompeianParty on Twitter on Wed 10/24 at 9pm ET! Hang out & win prizes! http://blog.smile.ly/pompeianparty.html

Another cloudy, gloomy day in Nebraska, it will be a great day for canning.

No comments:

Post a Comment